1. The Basics
A. Owner of Emmett’s Expedition
Emmett’s Expeditions is an online homeschool community offering learning activities (the “Services“) operated by Ashley, based in Spotsylvania, Virginia in the Unite States of America (“we,” “us,” “our,” and “Emmett’s Expeditions“).
The Services enable our readers, customers, and subscribers to, among other things, download and apply learning activities in their homeschool. We also provide other related services, such as designing homeschool ID cards.
Ashley has been selling homeschool nature activities since 2013. She sells mainly to customers in the United States and Canada, however offers her items for sale world-wide. Her website address is: https://emmettsexpeditions.com.
B. Key Terms
“Contact” is a person the owner may contact through response to the contact form. In other words, a Contact is anyone who has submitted their contact information on our contact forms. For example, if you send a question through the contact page, you would be considered a Contact.
“Distribution List” is a list of Contacts we may manage on our chosen email platform and all associated information related to those Contacts (for example, email addresses).
“Member” means any person or entity that is registered with us to use the Services.
“Personal Information” means any information that identifies or can be used to identify a Member, a Contact, or a Visitor, directly or indirectly. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, first and last name, date of birth, email address, gender, occupation, or other demographic information.
“Visitor” means any person who visits any of our Websites.
“you” and “your” means, depending on the context, either a Member, a Contact, or a Visitor.
2. Privacy for You
A. Information We Collect
The Personal Information that we may collect broadly falls into the following categories:
(i) Information you provide to us: In the course of engaging with our Services, you may provide Personal Information about you. Personal Information is often, but not exclusively, provided to us when you sign up for and use the Services, send us an email, or communicate with us in any other way.
This information may include:
- Billing and communications information
- If you purchase our Services, you may also need to provide us with payment and billing information, such as your credit card details and billing address. Mailchimp will also maintain a record of your billing transactions and purchases, and any communications and responses.
- When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- After approval of your comment, your profile picture is visible to the public in the context of your comment.
- Contact Forms
- If you contact us through any of our website contact pages we will maintain the information you provided, and any communications and responses.
- If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
- Newsletter Subscriptions
- When you submit a mailing list form I collect your name and email address via MailChimp. I do not share your information with anyone and I only use it for sending my newsletters. I keep your information for as long as you are subscribed. Once you terminate a subscription by clicking Unsubscribe at the bottom of you email, I will no longer keep your information. You can read MailChimp’s Legal Policies Here.
This information may include:
- If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
- If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
- When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
- Embedded content from other websites
- Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
(iii) Information we collect from other sources: From time to time, we may obtain information about you or your Contacts from third-party sources, such as public databases, social media platforms, third-party data providers and our joint marketing partners. We take steps to ensure that such third parties are legally or contractually permitted to disclose such information to us.
Examples of the information we receive from other sources include demographic information (such as age and gender), device information (such as IP addresses), location (such as city and state), and online behavioral data (such as information about use of social media websites, page view information and search results and links). We use this information, alone or in combination with other information (including Personal Information) we collect, to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing and content to you and to develop and provide you with more relevant products, features, and services.
- Our website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
B. Use of Personal Information
We may use the Personal Information we collect through the Services or other sources for a range of reasons, including:
- To bill and collect money owed to us by you. This includes sending you emails, invoices, receipts, notices of delinquency, and alerting you if we need a different credit card number. We use third parties for secure credit card transaction processing, and those third parties collect billing information to process your orders and credit card payments.
- To communicate with you about your account and provide customer support.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Your contact information
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Ashley Shelton, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.